Make your own free website on


They say memories
are golden
well maybe that is true.
I never wanted memories,
I only wanted you.

A million times I needed you,
a million times I cried.
If love alone could have saved you
you never would have died.

In life I loved you dearly,
In death I love you still.
In my heart you hold a place
no one could ever fill.

If tears could build a stairway
and heartache make a lane,
I'd walk the path to heaven
and bring you back again.

Our family chain is broken,
and nothing seems the same.
But as God calls us one by one,
the chain will link again.

Author unknown


Shalako's Spirit of Jazz (Tyler)
5/6/1996 - 9/8/1999

I bought Tyler in August of 1996, at 3 months old, from a person who was a perfect example of "why not to get a puppy". He was a divorced parent of a 2 yr. old daughter whom he saw only on the weekends. His daughter wanted a puppy so he went out and bought an 8 week old Rottweiller, not realizing he was going to have the responsibility of the pup during the week when his daughter was not there. Well, he apparently soon (4 weeks) tired of the chore in taking care of a puppy and went looking for a new home for him. I happened to work with his ex-wife who told me that her ex was looking for a home for a Rottie puppy – was I interested? I was and a price was negotiated – that was how I happened upon Tyler.

Not a day went by that I did not marvel at his beauty, his size or his gentle loving nature - He was my soulmate...we did everything together.

It is with overwhelming grief and sadness that envelops me like a blanket that I write of Tylers passing to the Bridge. I can't stop the never ending wave of tears that seem to come out of no where. Though I have had many dogs in my life, Tyler and I had a bond that was strong beyond belief. We seemed to be on the same wavelength - he read my mind and I his. He was my buddy and was very instrumental in helping me with my Dad's death last December. I don't know what I would have done without Ty.

Tyler was magnificent - his beauty, his temperament, his total love of play. How he loved to play.. the balls, Frisbee, the Jolly Balls, tug-of-war, you name it. He always had something in his mouth ready to drop it for you to throw. Somehow I knew that he would never grow up and would always be a puppy at heart. I loved him so much for it! I have a backyard that is filled with toys that Ty played with that will always be a reminder of him. Right now it is so hard to cope - Ty is everywhere I seem to go. I loved him more then my own life.

Tyler died very suddenly on that Wednesday Sept 8th afternoon. I had a dentist appointment at 2:30. I let all the guys outside to go potty before I had to leave. I brought them all inside about 2:15. Tyler had been fine - no signs of sickness of any kind. He ate well earlier that morning and we played a little ball. I left about 2:15 and after the dentist ran to the Post Office and Credit Union. I returned home about 5:10. I immediately call to everyone to let them back outside. I saw Tyler laying on the living room floor (he had jumped the baby gate from my bedroom - he usually did) and he did not get up. I call to him again - he did not move. I let everyone out and went over to Tyler. He was not breathing nor was there a heartbeat. It took about 20 min for his death to sink in….somehow my brain could not comprehend what my eyes were seeing. I had my neighbor help me put Ty in the van (that I just bought mainly because of him - he was so big). On Thursday I took Ty to my vets and he is being cremated.

I spoke to my vets about his sudden death and he said that it could have been either a stroke, aneurysm or even a heart attack. Thursday afternoon, I was able to track down his breeder again and spoke with her. It turns out that his father had to be put to sleep at 6 yrs of age due to cancer in the inner ear that was not treatable and eventually grew to the point it was protruding out of the ear and causing great discomfort. I think this is also what may have been instrumental in Tyler's death. I had him to the vet's a couple of years ago because Tyler would shake his head and I thought he may have something in his ear. The vet could find nothing wrong. Every now and again Ty would shake his head violently and then be fine. I would check his ears only to find nothing wrong. I now believe he may have had a tumor growing way inside that was causing the discomfort and ultimately his death. I am thankful that he did go quickly with no suffering or disability.... He was playful to the end!

running dog

paw buttonCondolences

paw buttonSpecial Poems

Following are some pictures of how I like to remember Ty...

Go Back to Memorial

flower line

This web site was created with an abundance of love by Carol Minkus © 1999-2000

This page hosted by GeoCities Get your own Free Home Page